Saturday 25 September 2010

A Hallowe'en Challenge Card

I've recently started following the Ribbon Girl blog and they have recently launched their first challenge:


I'm probably a little bit predictable with this one, but I opted for a Hallowe'en theme:


Halloween Card


Halloween Card


Ingredients: Vintage canned pumpkin label from the Graphics fairy, Basic Grey paper, Nellie Snellen frame die, hand cut pumpkin, ribbon from local market, pen stitching, studio G alphabet stamps.


In addition to finishing this card today, I also had a very productive morning and made my first ever Christmas cake!  It's currently what can only be described as sweating in tin foil and Jack Daniels but here's a few shots of the work in progress from this morning:

Getting to grips with the recipe (from Feast by Nigella Lawson):

Well on the way:


Mmmm, ready for the tin (I love raw cake mix!)


Ready for the oven:
I have to say I wasn't convinced with the instruction to put a large collar of brown paper around the tin, I was sure it would set on fire in the oven.  Thankfully it didn't.

After I had finished scraping the bowl I offered Mr Crafty Blogger the chance to 'lick the bowl'.  His reply was "err no, it's got raw egg in it hasn't it?".    I was very surprised at his response, particularly as he was brought up in NW England during the 1970s where 'bowl licking' was practically a sport and one which most children could reach an olympic standard at!  He then proceeded to ask if I had eaten any of the mixture.  My reply "of course"!

Due to my cake mix eating activities this may be my last blog post (or so Mr Crafty Blogger intimated), if not I'll be back soon with a pic of the finished cake.  I can't post one now as the recipe instructs you to soak it with more booze and wrap in foil to cool, which is what it's currently doing.

Thanks for looking,

Ruthie x

5 comments:

Bagladee said...

Lovely card Ruthie, and I hope that cake tastes as yummy as it looks! :)
Emma x

papertrails leaver said...

I would have been worried about the brown paper bag collar too. How did it turn out? It looks yummy! I know your card is absolutely fantastic! Love the label you used with this.

Kath Stewart said...

sweet card ruthie and can't wait to see the finished cake....yummy...thanks for joining in the first colour challenge at the Ribbon Girl blog...hugs kath xxx

Ribbon Girl said...

Licking the bowl is the best part of making a cake!!

I love your card, thanks for joining in with the first colour challenge at the Ribbon Girl blog

Angie - Bumble Bee's Craft Den said...

Fab card - it all goes together very well. I love the vintage pumpkin label.

I love raw cake mix also!!